How Do You Know If Mold Is Making You Sick?


Published

Important: If you think you are feeling ill due to mold exposure, it is imperative that you seek medical advice from a licensed professional immediately.

Does Mold Make You Sick?

In the outdoors, mold is a living organism that serves as an essential part of a healthy ecosystem.  Certain molds and fungi help break down organic material continuing the cycle of life.  But in our homes, they are unwelcomed and can lead to negative health effects such as coughing, sneezing, and even skin irritation.  Left unchecked, a mold problem can quickly take over a home.  So the question is, can mold make you sick? 

The answer to this can be a “yes” or a “no.” It depends on certain factors such as the severity of the issue, and most prominently, the state of your immune system. Individuals with health problems, such as a weakened immune function, or those that suffer from allergic reactions to mold, are the most vulnerable to the effects of mold and should take precautionary measures.

Another important factor to consider is how long you have been exposed to the mold in your home. The presence of mold on your walls for one or two weeks won’t hurt you. Mold exposure will begin to affect your health only when it’s spent a long time in your home & after you have come in contact with it numerous times.

  • Tip: Have your air conditioners on once in a while to circulate air and remove excess humidity.

There are some symptoms associated with mold exposure, so when you experience some of these at the same time, you should double-check to ensure that there is no mold in your home.

Common symptoms of mold infection include:

  • Sneezing
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Runny Nose
  • Asthma Attacks
  • Cough & Postnasal Drip
  • Itchy Eyes, Throat, or Nose
  • Dry, Scaly Skin
  • Watery Eyes

It’s worth mentioning that the most familiar symptoms of mold infection are connected with the nasal & respiratory systems.

Note that the signs that tell you that you’re suffering from mold infection may be less or more severe than what someone else may experience. The severity of symptoms differs from person to person. Also, your symptoms can be present throughout the year, becoming more prominent when the weather is damp when mold grows more commonly.

My Home Has Mold, What Should I do?

Water-damaged buildings, including your home, can create the perfect environment for mold to grow and thrive. It is imperative to fix the source of any leaks and remove any sources of excess moisture as soon as possible. Attempting to manage mold growth in your home with remedies such as chlorine bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or white vinegar will only help temporarily. It is impossible to eliminate all of the mold spores in your home, but by removing certain environmental factors that these spores rely on – you can prevent further spread.

Mold Loves Damp Areas and Humidity

According to the American Lung Association, keeping a humidity level below 50 percent in your home will prevent mold growth. If you have humidifiers, leaky faucets, overflowing drip pans, or no exhaust fans, you are more prone to have mold growth in your home due to the amount of excessive moisture. Thoroughly cleaning common areas of the house, like the bathroom and kitchen, will prevent mold growth. Heating and cooling systems should also be periodically examined to ensure that they are properly functioning; this will keep humidity and dampness from accumulating in your home.

Do you have proper ventilation when you are cooking? What about when you are showering? Heat-prone rooms like the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry areas, are ideal for mold growth. Heat and water create a humid, damp, and moist environment fostering mold growth. Ensure each site is adequately ventilated and cleaned regularly to keep your home safe and free of mold.

 This article only covers a small portion of where to find mold damage and how to prevent it.  To find out more information, take a look at our Complete Guide to All You Need to Know About Mold and see how you can further protect yourself from mold exposure.

What If You Cannot Immediately Find Any Mold in Your Home?

Mold can grow in any humid, damp, and warm environment. Often people look to their bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry rooms. However, there are smaller areas in which mold is present such as your coffee maker. The reservoir in most coffee makers is the perfect dark and damp environment ideal for mold growth.

When have you last checked and washed your dishcloths? Dish towels are often damp from use and left to dry in a kitchen (often humid from cooking). Mold growth on and in the fabric is much harder to clean.

How Can You Be Sure That It Is The Mold That Is Making You Sick?

One can never be sure that the symptoms experienced is due to mold exposure alone because of how generalized the symptoms may be. In addition, mold symptoms may linger which causes you to not be aware that you have been exposed in the first place. However, it is paramount to be vigilant of the possibility of mold presence in your home and be on alert for any type of symptoms of mold exposure that may arise.

If you or a loved one believe that you are suffering from symptoms caused by mold exposure, it is best to seek medical advice immediately. Only a medical professional is licensed to diagnose and treat mold exposure. Make sure you note the time-frame of the mold exposure, the location of it, and any symptoms that you are experiencing.

Additionally, if you suspect that your home is suffering from a mold infestation, we at Mold zero can help. We are the mold removal experts that utilize a clean process to remove the mold in your home or business with LITTEL TO NO DEMOLITION.  We serve the greater Los Angeles area and can handle most jobs within one business day.  Call us today for a free estimate at (626) 671-8885 and begin your path to a mold-free environment today!

2022 © Mold Zero Services LLC

WEBSITE & SEO by NATIVERANK