What Are The Symptoms of Mold Exposure? How Can You Reduce Your Exposure?


Is Mold Exposure Dangerous?

Have you seen mold in your home? Are your eyes itchy or watery? Do you suffer from shortness of breath? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may be affected by mold exposure or experiencing an allergic reaction to mold.

Mold exposure is not necessarily dangerous, except if it has gone on for long periods of time without preventive measures. Mold exposure simply means exposing yourself to mold. This happens when you live in a home that contains any type of mold (of any color) or work unprotected in places with overwhelming amounts of mold.

How Does Mold Affect My Health?

Typically, the common health effects of mold exposure are allergic reactions and asthmatic symptoms. Often, these symptoms are related to nasal or respiratory issues but not necessarily limited to these types of health problems, as skin rashes can also be a sign of mold exposure.  These symptoms are exacerbated in those with a weakened immune system as their body has a difficult time fighting off the mold spores.  Most healthy individuals, however, will only exhibit acute symptoms that should resolve themselves after the mold problem is taken care of.

Some of The Common Symptoms of Mold Exposure Include:

  • Coughing
  • Runny Nose
  • Sneezing
  • Wheezing
  • Itchy eyes
  • Watery eyes
  • Eye Redness
  • Skin Rashes or Irritation

Usually, our bodies fight off these symptoms & they represent no great danger, as long as we avoid repeated exposure to the mold spores. But how can you reduce your exposure to a thing growing where you live? You must control the environment itself, and create one that is hostile to the growth of mold.

Why Does Mold Grow In My Home? 

Mold spores are always looking for a place to settle and grow, and these spores thrive in places with an excessive amount of moisture- and even better if the space lacks adequate exposure to sunlight.  Without a source of moisture, most mold is not able to grow and sustain life.  That is why it is vitally important to keep a close eye on the areas in your home where excessive moisture can be created, such as in the kitchen, bathroom, or attic. This will prevent mold from taking over these areas.

There are many places in your home where mold can grow. To find out more information about all the common & uncommon places where you can find mold in your home, take a look at our Complete Guide to Mold for 2021 and find out all you need to know about this pesky microbe.

How Quickly Does Mold Grow?

Mold can grow extremely fast! It can start growing about 24-48 hours after the spores have found a prime location and can take over that environment soon after.  Given prime conditions, such as a source of excessive moisture, proper food source, and a lack of sunlight, mold can take over a small corner of your home sooner than you know!

The situation is exacerbated in areas like your restroom or in your HVAC system where there is a continuous source of moisture or humidity.  In these situations, proper maintenance is absolutely vital.  Making sure that your HVAC unit is working properly and that there is proper ventilation in your bathroom can mean the difference between having a mold-free home, versus having to deal with cleaning up mold on a recurring basis.

Without an excessive source of moisture, it is hard for mold to grow. If you are trying to get rid of mold, one of the first things to do is to control the amount of moisture in the environment and to keep humidity levels below 50%.  In doing so, you significantly reduce the chance of a mold colony taking over your home.

How Do I Protect Myself Against Mold?

There are various elements that foster mold growth, but the main one is the availability of moisture in the environment. Before you even consider mold removal, you should think about removing any source of excess moisture.  Without doing so, a mold infestation will continue to return, no matter how good of a job you do getting rid of it.

Ways to Protect Prevent Mold Growth:

  1. Fix water damaged areas of your home
  2. Maintain your air conditioners and have them running frequently
  3. Clean porous materials often
  4. Check dark and less frequently used parts of the home regularly
  5. Keep your home well ventilated

If you are in an area where you can not escape your exposure to mold, it is advisable to utilize protective gear whenever possible.  Although most times, mold will not prove to be an immediate danger, it is still a foreign microbe that our bodies must fight off to keep us healthy.

A Special Note About Cleaning Up Mold

Bleach is one of the first cleaning agents that most people think about when they discover a mold issue in their home, and why not?  Bleach is a powerful disinfectant and most people would think that using bleach on a mold colony would take care of it.  However, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, the use of bleach is NOT RECOMMENDED as it may take care of the visual signs of mold but still leaves a background level of mold and can easily return and take over the area you cleaned.  

Another solution that some may think of, is to just paint over the mold.  This may seem like a viable option, but painting over a moldy surface neither fixes nor remedies the problem. The mold will most likely use the paint as nutrients eating through it, making it a recurring issue.

If a mold issue has gotten out of control in your home, the best way to handle it is to hire a professional.  In dealing with the mold problem yourself, you can end up putting you and your family in even more danger by agitating the mold spores and spreading them throughout your home.

This is where Mold Zero can help.  Our company uses a patented 2-step dry fog process that eliminates mold on contact and keeps it away for at least 90-days.  The solution we use requires little to no demolition.  Our process is quick and easy with most jobs taking only 1 business day!  If you or a loved one suspects that there is a mold problem in your home, contact us for a free estimate at (626)671-8885 and let us help you get rid of the mold in your home today!

2020 © Mold Zero Services LLC